[OS X TeX] Bibtex and non-ASCII characters

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Nov 11 00:10:41 CET 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Markus S wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any smart way to deal with non-ASCII characters like the &
> symbol when using a GUI-based reference software (be it Endnote,
> Bookends, Papers, or BibDesk) and .bib file.

Well, "&" /is/ part of the ASCII character set.  It just needs to be
escaped in TeX.

> Currently, I am sometimes replacing the & symbol with \& within
> Endnote, sometimes in the .bib file. Doing it always in Endnote
> would be safer way but browsing Endnote this looks a bit odd.
>
> My (planned) way out is to use a Perl script that converts all non-
> ASCII characters in the .bib file exported from Endnote so that
> things work in Latex. I have the Perl script, the tough job is to
> come up with a list of all characters that have to be replaced (and
> I first have to reverse all the characters I've already fixed within
> Endnote).

You could do this in BibDesk with regular expression find and replace
or AppleScript, which may be easier than manipulating the .bib file
directly.  BibDesk also converts non-ASCII characters such as ø or ü
to the appropriate TeX sequence if you want (see the Files preference
pane).

--
adam