[OS X TeX] TeXShop features I would like to correct (or have corrected)

Tom Koornwinder thk at science.uva.nl
Tue Nov 6 10:25:27 CET 2007

On 05.11.2007 at 00:44 Tom Koornwinder wrote

> On 02.11.2007 at 10:02 and at 10:19 Andre Bellaiche wrote:
>
> > Some TeXShop features I would like to correct before switching to
> > Leopard:
> >
> > 1. When TeXShop gets into an error, because of a undefined macro,
> > e.g., most of the time, after correcting the error, I have to Abort
> > and Trash Aux Files before typesetting again. If I don't do it, I get
> > into an immediate error.
[...]
> > The immediate cause is an unfinished line in the .aux file, as:
> >
> > \@writefile
> >
> > without arguments.
>
> I also experience this annoying TeXShop behaviour, but only if there are
> many items (say more than 30) in the tags menu. In a longer document with
> sections and subsections you easily reach this number.

On closer inspection this behaviour is not caused by the many items in the
tags menu, but it is indeed, as Andre Bellaiche wrote, because the last line
in the .aux file remains uncompleted when TeXShop gets into an error.
For instance:

\newlabel{14

or

\@writefile{nav}{\headcommand {\

However, I only experience this with larger files, when the .aux file
will become accordingly large.

On 05-11-2007 at 08:34 Josep M. Font wrote:

> I would say this is normal TeX(Shop) behaviour, depending on the
> point at which the previous TeX run was aborted. Anyway,
> trashing .aux files will (almost) never hurt.

If this is indeed general TeX behaviour, and not special TeXShop behaviour,
I wonder if (La)TeX can be improved such that it always completes the last
line in  the .aux file before aborting.
Trashing .aux files will hurt because it slows down: you have to typeset twice
next before everything is in good order again.

			Tom Koornwinder