[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Nov 4 20:30:02 CET 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 01:50 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.11.2007 um 02:21 schrieb Leah Berman:
>
>> When I have Maple in, say, space 3 and try to use the dock to
>> switch to it from space 1, it will switch to the Maple menubar but
>> not actually switch to the space
>
> Is any other application behaving like this? This warping would be
> a great feature! On Tiger I am using a different virtual desktop on
> which I have to select and move an application from one screen to
> another. Or close (minimise) it and re-open (maximise) it on the
> new desktop. Some application offer to open a new window on this
> other desktop when selected in Dock ... or to minimise! Then you
> can maximise and hopefully it opens on the active space!

I believe that this is the way that 'Spaces' works.  If your app is
both running and unassigned to a space, selecting it (either from the
dock or CMD-TAB) will bring its menu bar up, but no extant windows.
You can assign apps to specific spaces (or to "all spaces") in the
Spaces prefs panel.  If assigned, selecting a running app, or
launching it, will switch you to the assigned space.

There seems to be a bug in the assignment logic, though: assigning an
app to "all" doesn't seem to survive logout/reboot.  Don't know if
specific assignments have that problem.

Also, FWIW, if you use F8 to show all spaces, you can drag specific
windows between spaces.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large