[OS X TeX] Remarks about TeX on Leopard

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Nov 4 14:16:44 CET 2007

Le 4 nov. 07 à 13:30, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> This is not needed in my opinion. And it's a bad substitution: echo
> is built-in to bash and other shells (man builtin) while printf is
> an external programme.

 From the man page of echo:

      The following option is available:

      -n    Do not print the trailing newline character.  This may
also be
            achieved by appending `\c' to the end of the string, as is
done by
            iBCS2 compatible systems.  Note that this option as well
as the
            effect of `\c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std
1003.1-2001
            (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002.  Applications
aiming for
            maximum portability are strongly encouraged to use
printf(1) to
            suppress the newline character.

      Some shells may provide a builtin echo command which is similar
or iden-
      tical to this utility.  Most notably, the builtin echo in sh(1)
does not
      accept the -n option.  Consult the builtin(1) manual page.

Bruno Voisin