[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 28 22:11:20 CEST 2007

Le 28 mai 07 à 22:03, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 28.05.2007 um 21:16 schrieb Chabot Denis:
>
>> I added these lines in pdftexconfig.tex, which in my case is
>> located here:
>> /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex
>
> Check carefully whether this is the right file (for example in
> web2c/pdflatex.log)! It looks as if you are having a pretty old
> gwTeX installation without TeX Live ...

Default pdftexconfig.tex seems, in gwTeX, to live within /usr/local/
gwTeX/texmf.texlive:

$ texdist --texdist=gwTeX "kpsewhich pdftexconfig.tex"
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex

You may, of course, keep a customized copy of pdftexconfig.tex
within /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local, which will take precedence, but
then you must make sure at every gwTeX update that your customized
copy is kept up to date with any change inside the pdftexconfig.tex
within /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive.

>> but it had strictly no effect on my large report, which remained
>> at 20.6 MB. I added these lines in my tex document also, and then
>> I got a tiny saving in size, down to 20.4. So in my case, it is
>> still best to shrink the pdf produced by tex with pdftk (7 MB).
>>
>> I don't know why performance differs so much between our two tests.
>
> I made the FMT files anew (sudo fmtutil-sys --refresh). The file
> pdftexconfig.tex is not read when simply pdfTeX'ing, it's only read
> when (re-)making the FMT files.

I think you can also simply write inside your TeX input file:

\input{pdftexconfig}

Bruno Voisin