[OS X TeX] htlatex tex4t problem

David Gilliam dsgilliam1 at suddenlink.net
Mon May 28 15:08:10 CEST 2007

Hello

I have been enjoying and learning from this mailing list for many
years.  I now have a problem I cannot seem to resolve so I  would
greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

My problem is concerned with using Claus Gerhardt's macros htlatexr
or htlatexc in  texshop. I discovered two days ago that they no
longer work.  After considerable effort I decided to download and
install the complete new TeX Live  distribution and texshop.  The new
tex  and  texshop typeset  fine but the macros still do not work.
The error message is

%%%%%%%%%%%%
AppleScript Error

Can't get alias (file ...
%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I then decided that it might be a problem with tex4ht so I opened a
terminal window and tried to run htlatex on a simple latex file.
This also did not work and I am including the result of this
execution here

%%%%%%%%

David-Gilliams-Computer:~/Desktop/test dgilliam$ htlatex test.tex
warning: Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx'.
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.efmt
fmtutil: unknown format type: latex.efmt.
I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!
warning: Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx'.
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.efmt
fmtutil: unknown format type: latex.efmt.
I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!
warning: Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx'.
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.efmt
fmtutil: unknown format type: latex.efmt.
I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!
----------------------------
tex4ht.c (2006-09-13-14:27 kpathsea)
tex4ht dirchar
   test.tex
   -i~/tex4ht.dir/texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/
--- warning --- Problem with command line
--- error --- Can't find/open file `test.dvi'
----------------------------
t4ht.c (2007-01-05-03:17 kpathsea)
t4ht dirchar
   test.tex
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex4ht/base/unix/tex4ht.env)
--- warning --- Can't find/open file `test.lg'

I hope that someone might see something from this that can get me
back on track.

Thanks in advance for your help

David Gilliam
Professor of Mathematics