[OS X TeX] Invisible text

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun May 27 19:53:27 CEST 2007

1) I often switch between two environments, for instance:

	\newboolean{FormattedVersusEnumerated}

	\newenvironment{Formatted}[2]%
		{\textbf{#1}\par\textit{#2}}%
		{\par}

	\newenvironment{Enumerated}[2]
		{\begin{enumerate}\item #1\item #2}%
		{\end{enumerate}}

	\newenvironment{Xxxx}
		{%
		\ifthenelse{\boolean{FormattedVersusEnumerated}}
			{\begin{Formatted}}%
			{\begin{Enumerated}}%
		}%
		{%
		\ifthenelse{\boolean{FormattedVersusEnumerated}}%
			{\end{Formatted}}%
			{\end{Enumerated}}%
		}%

and then in the document

	\setboolean{FormattedVersusEnumerated}{true}

	\begin{Xxxx}
		{First test phrase}
		{Second test phrase}
	\end{Xxxx}

Where I ran into trouble of course is when, instead of "Formatted", I
needed an environment that would do nothing. I then tried

	\newenvironment{Invisible}[2]%
		{\invisible{#1}}%
		{\\invisible{#2}}

but even though Lamport mentions \invisible on page 161 of the
Addendum to the Second Preliminary Ed. (July 13, 1998), Companion 2ed
does not mention it and all I found via Google was, at http://
theory.stanford.edu/people/arjun/ak-grad.html, the following "LaTeX
trick" which I didn;t understand and didn't work for me:

	\mbox{} - used to create invisible text

2) The only way I have found is, instead of the above, do the
ifthenelse in the document with \newenvironment{Naught}{ }{ } but,
while it works, as I have a lot of nested ifthenelse, that turns into
a nightmare.

Very hopeful regards
--schremmer