e: [OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat May 26 18:16:47 CEST 2007

Am 24.05.2007 um 04:20 schrieb Chabot Denis:

> So if any of you can translate this into something I can understand
> and tell me if this goes into the preamble as I did above, I'd
> greatly appreciate. Being able to shrink the size of some of my
> documents without using Acrobat would be nice.

As far as I understand non-stream objects are taken and united to
build one stream that can be better compressed. This is possible
because PDF 1.5 offers new ways to refer to these objects. IMO the
savings won't be so much, it makes more sense to imply compression
images on other streams (audio, video). I'll check later whether
there is some reasonable amount gained. For this I edited

	/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex

and added the two lines

	\pdfminorversion=5
	\pdfobjcompresslevel=2

(\pdfcompresslevel=9 is already there) and "refreshed" the FMT files.
This went fine, first PDF files created in PDF 1.5 can be displayed.

I think it makes also sense to add in the LaTeX source

	\usepackage{cmap}

to enable the use of real Unicode characters instead of TeX compounds
for non-ASCII characters.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
                                          - Jeremy S. Anderson