[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Fri May 25 04:12:35 CEST 2007

Hi Mark,

Le 07-05-24 à 20:00, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List a écrit :

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics
> From: "M A" <markoilcan at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:14:03 -0500
>
> On 5/23/07, Chabot Denis <chabotd at globetrotter.net> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Here is a summary of what I have learned about the options to
>> compress/convert individual pdf graphics before I include them in a
>> LaTeX document.

> Out of curiosity, what method did you use to create the pdf files in
> R? I believe functions like dev.print(pdf, "file.pdf") use R's
> internal routines to create the pdf. If you are using R.app, though,
> you can also use the quartz.save("file.pdf", type="pdf"), which, I
> believe, uses Apple's pdf rendering methods. It could be that one will
> give you smaller pdf files.
>
> Mark A

Hi Mark, actually I tried quite a few options. It may be a bit boring
on this list, so I'll send it to you in a separate message. But if
anyone else here is interested, just let me know. In short, depending
on the particular graphic, some methods make smaller files than
others. But I found pdftk used outside of R was the overall winner.

Denis