[OS X TeX] GNUPLOT on Mac

Vic Norton vic at norton.name
Thu May 24 23:45:02 CEST 2007

Perhaps you are right, Aaron, but just to satisfy my curiosity try
the following script.

    #!/usr/local/bin/gnuplot

    show version long

    cd "~/Desktop"
    set term png
    set output "test.png"

    test

You should get a "test.png" file on your desktop. Do you?

In any case the "test.png" image is very much different than the
"test" picture you would see if you "set term aqua".

When I run this test, my textual output reads

	G N U P L O T
	Version 4.2 patchlevel rc4 CVS-23Jan2007
	last modified Tue Jan 23 21:40:03 PST 2007
	System: Darwin 8.9.0

	Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007
	Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

	Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
	The gnuplot FAQ is available from
		http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

	Send comments and help requests to  <gnuplot-
beta at lists.sourceforge.net>
	Send bug reports and suggestions to <gnuplot-
beta at lists.sourceforge.net>

Compile options:
-READLINE  +LIBREADLINE  +HISTORY  +BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY
+BINARY_DATA
+GD_PNG  +GD_JPEG  +GD_TTF  +GD_GIF  +ANIMATION
-NOCWDRC  +X11  +X11_POLYGON  +MULTIBYTE  +USE_MOUSE  +HIDDEN3D_QUADTREE
+DATASTRINGS  +HISTOGRAMS  +OBJECTS  +STRINGVARS  +MACROS  +IMAGE

DRIVER_DIR     = "/usr/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.2"
GNUPLOT_PS_DIR = "/usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.2/PostScript"
HELPFILE       = "/usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot.gih"

In particular my version of gnuplot is using GD to produce "test.png".

Regards,

Vic