[OS X TeX] GNUPLOT on Mac

Joshua Smith joshua.smith at ucsf.edu
Thu May 24 00:27:27 CEST 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 11:55 AM, Aaron Jackson wrote:

> Aquaterm is a small app that other programs can use to display
> graphical output.  Gnuplot does not require Aquaterm, however
> installing it is highly recommended.  Gnuplot has to display plots
> somehow, so it uses Aquaterm if it is available, if not it can use
> X11.  If you never want to see the plots (within gnuplot itself),
> then gnuplot can save them directly to disk as LaTeX, pdf, eps,
> png,... files, which means, in this case, that X11 and Aquaterm are
> not needed.
>
> Gnuplot is very easy to compile.  A simple
>
> ./configure
> make
> make check
> make install
>
> should do the trick (assuming that you have Aquaterm installed,
> otherwise skip the make check step).  If the configure stops for
> any reason (perhaps a missing readline lib if I remember), you can
> disable the check that is failing (type ./configure --help for
> options).  You wont need it anyway if you are not directly using
> gnuplot.

I followed these directions (except for installing Aquaterm because I
only want the .gnuplot files for TikZ), and I thought everything
proceeded fine.  I did not see any error messages about an
installation failure.  However, when I type "which gnuplot" I get

no gnuplot in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin

I also tried Jeremy's suggestion of using ./configure --with-
readline=builtin but that did not seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh