[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Nestor Aguilera aguilera at ceride.gov.ar
Wed May 23 23:45:07 CEST 2007

On 23 May, 2007, at 14:48, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> epstopdf is a perl script that uses ghostscript (which is used by
> ps2pdf as well).
> pstopdf is the Apple command line tool that converts postscript to
> pdf (the same tool used by preview, and actually the Adobe
> distiller with sane but fixed parameters).

In my MacBook, Preview, eps2pdf and epstopdf produce quite different
results. Applied to a particular .ps file, and then looking for File -
 > Properties in Acrobat Reader, I see

    with        producer                            PDF
version          size
    Preview     Mac OSX 10.4.9 Quartz PDFContext    1.3 (Acrobat
4.x)    364 KB
    ps2pdf      GPL Ghostscript 8.54                1.3 (Acrobat
4.x)    168 KB
    pstopdf     Apple pstopdf                       1.3 (Acrobat
4.x)    264 KB

It seems that the the output of pstopdf is the cleanest: I can search
for strings (and find them), but not for the other two.

Best,

                                                  Nestor