[OS X TeX] GNUPLOT on Mac

Jeremy Conlin jeremit0 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 21:18:00 CEST 2007

On 5/23/07, Joshua Smith <joshua.smith at ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I am beginning to explore the use of pgf/TikZ to put figures into my
> TeX documents (using TeXShop as the front-end).  To plot functions,
> it appears that GNUPLOT needs to be installed.  I did a little Google
> searching and one website stated that GNUPlot requires AquaTerm
> (which I have no idea what that is).  Can anyone give a
> recommendation for the best/simplest way to install and configure
> GNUPLOT if the only thing I want to do with it is use it with pgf/
> TikZ?  Just download it from SourceForge and compile?  Do I need to
> make sure it is installed anyplace specific for pgf/TikZ to see it,
> or does the compilation take care of that?

At one point there was work to make a Universal installer for the
latest version of Gnuplot.  I don't know what has happened.  I do know
that Gnuplot is relatively simple to compile, once AquaTerm is
installed.  AquaTerm is trivial to install as well.  The only thing to
watch out for when configuring Gnuplot is to use the builtin in
readline libraries rather than the gnu readline libraries.  This is
done by:

.\configure --with-readline=builtin

The gnu readline libraries don't work for some reason.

Anyway, give it a try.  It's pretty simple.  As far as pgf/TikZ, I
know nothing about them so maybe others on this list can help with
that.

Jeremy