[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Tue May 22 23:16:25 CEST 2007

On 22/5/07 10:46 PM, "Alan Litchfield" <alan at alphabyte.co.nz> wrote:

> Luci Ellis wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps not within LaTeX, but certainly within OS X.
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/smaller_pdf.html
>>

> This will convert images to JPEG, which will be less than satisfactory. Try
> looking at ps2pdf (a description is at
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/6.50/Ps2pdf.htm) which can emulate some
> of the more useful Distiller functions.

This doesn't seem to be the case when I tried it just now. Then again, it
didn't exactly compress the files I tried it on. But the graphics inside the
PDF (PDF graphics inserted as part of a run of PDFLaTeX) were definitely
still full definition and not JPEG bitmapped - They were still full
definition no matter how much I magnified the view of the file.

Regards,
Luci