Macports without tetex (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: Multi-distribution woes)

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Tue May 22 20:43:53 CEST 2007

On 21 May 2007, at 19:51, M A wrote:

> it is possible (and probably desirable) to be able to install
> software such as gnuplot without having to install a whole new (or
> make that old and getting-outdated) TeX distribution. To allow
> macports to find your already installed latex copy /opt/local/etc/
> ports/ports.conf to ~/.macports/ports.conf (create the
> directory .macports if it doesn't exist already) and add the
> following lines to the end of the file:
>
> # Set the bin path so it can find tex stuff.
> binpath
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/
> X11R6/bin:/usr/texbin

I have done this. However, when I try to install, say, dvipdfmx from
macports, still macports attempts at downloading, compiling and
installing tetex.
How can we install tex-dependent binaries in macports without
downloading, compiling and installing tetex, but relying on the
mactex distribution?
What is your solution supposed to do?

cheers
--e.