[OS X TeX] One line is longer than the others

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 22 17:42:56 CEST 2007

Le 22 mai 07 à 11:52, Chabot Denis a écrit :

> I read about sloppypar environment, I tried it on one of the
> paragraphs containing a line that was too long, and it fixed it. I
> guess I do not have (yet) an eye for details of typographical
> appearance because the result did not look bad to me (not "sloppy"
> anyway)!
>
> I guess I had been lucky so far, because I had not realised the
> level of manual intervention that may be required when compiling a
> document.
>
> I favor the use of microtype because it removed the need for manual
> intervention (without making the document larger), at least in this
> document.

In a document I wrote recently, which included a lot of long words
(complicated author names) and was typeset with XeTeX (hence no
microtype), I ended up using the following settings with plain TeX:

\interlinepenalty=1000
\tolerance=5000 \hbadness=10000 \emergencystretch=1em

and with LaTeX:

\interlinepenalty=10000
\sloppy \hbadness=10000

I don't remember exactly which does what, some parameters were set to
favour page breaks between paragraphs and others to favour line
breaks between words. To find out what's the function of each
parameter, one has to go back to the TeXbook, I'm afraid.

Bruno Voisin