[OS X TeX] One line is longer than the others

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Tue May 22 11:52:12 CEST 2007

Hi,

I hope this comes soon enough to save you some typing. I found one
possible answer to my subquestion:

> I understand the fix you suggested, Bruno (issuing \hyphenation),
> but what if you did not want to cut a word? How do you fix a line
> that is too long then? Like the line that ends with "d'être"?
> In fact, I'm surprised this happens at all: if a word cannot be
> hyphenated, shouldn't the TeX engine work around this, even if the
> result is not as appealing (cannot be worse than a line left too
> long!)?

I read about sloppypar environment, I tried it on one of the
paragraphs containing a line that was too long, and it fixed it. I
guess I do not have (yet) an eye for details of typographical
appearance because the result did not look bad to me (not "sloppy"
anyway)!

I guess I had been lucky so far, because I had not realised the level
of manual intervention that may be required when compiling a document.

I favor the use of microtype because it removed the need for manual
intervention (without making the document larger), at least in this
document.

Denis