[OS X TeX] Can only get TeXLive to see ~user/Library/texmf if logged in as admin

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Mon May 21 07:55:32 CEST 2007

Sorry all,
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Setting my account up as an admin user and running
that way for a while seems to have cleared the problem up, after going back
to non-admin status and logging out and in again.

Sorry for the interruption. I was definitely not making this up!

On 21/5/07 1:26 AM, "Richard Koch" <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Luci,
> I created a new account without admin privileges. I typeset a small
> file which used
> a bst file and a bib file. Bibtex refused to do its job, claiming
> that it could not find
> the two files.
>
> Then I created
>
> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib    and   ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst
>
> and put the two files in the appropriate directories. Bibtex found
> the files and
> the document typeset fine.
>
> Could you provide more details. How did you install TeX Live?

I downloaded and installed the standard TeXLive 2007 for Mac OS X as
distributed via the TUG site. At the same time, I switched from iTeXMac to
TeXShop as a front end, though I don't imagine this is relevant. I have
selected TeXLive 2007 as the right installation to use in the Preference
Panel that comes with the distribution. All worked fine as long as I had my
account set up as an admin user.

> What is in
> ~/Library/texmf which cannot be found?

The extra files that I want to find are in my own home folder's library
folder, i.e. ~luci/Library/texmf/ and then fonts, bibtex, tex etc as
appropriate. The material includes custom class files (in
tex/latex/private), bst files (bibtex/bst), and lots of extra fonts.

Sorry once again.

Luci