[OS X TeX] One line is longer than the others

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 21 07:49:13 CEST 2007

Le 21 mai 07 à 05:52, Chabot Denis a écrit :

> I feel stupid! I copied and pasted from my browser, I don't know
> why this happened. It should have been:
>
> 207.134.209.235:88/temp/Line_too_long.pdf
> 207.134.209.235:88/temp/Line_too_long.tex
>
>> [...]
>>
>> On May 20, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Chabot Denis wrote:
>>
>>> I ran out of "sub" levels for sections in a long report so I
>>> started using the "paragraph" level. This worked, except that one
>>> of my paragraphs set to "paragraph level" has its first line
>>> extending into the right margin. I did nothing differently with
>>> this paragraph.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The offending "paragraph" starts with "Oursin plat" on p. 2 of the
>>> pdf version.

What you're seeing is simply a manifestation of the fact that TeX
can't find any hyphenation point in the last word of this line (=
"sables"); hence it reports an overfull \hbox and leaves this word
protruding in the margin. From the console output:

> Overfull \hbox (9.8887pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 120--121
> \T1/txr/bx/n/12 Our-sin plat[][] \T1/txr/m/n/12 L'our-sin plat (\T1/
> txr/m/it/1
> 2 Echi-na-rach-nius parma\T1/txr/m/n/12 ), com-mu-nÈ-ment ap-pelÈ
> dol-lar des s
> ables,
>
> Overfull \hbox (3.08401pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 120--121
> \T1/txr/m/n/12 est la seule es-pËce de l'ordre Cly-peas-te-roida
> prÈ-sente dans
> l'EMGSL. Sa dis-tri-bu-tion s'Ètend

If you select the [draft] option to the {article} class, you'll see
black boxes appearing where overfull \hbox'es are found.

I don't understand why "sables" cannot be hyphenated as it should be,
namely sa-bles. I checked in the log that French hyphenation is the
one in effect at that point, and it is indeed. For good measure I
also selected French hyphenation explicitly for this word, namely:

\begin{hyphenrules}{french}sables\end{hyphenrules}

and it doesn't change a thing. I can only see two explanations:
either the "s" at the end of "sables" isn't recognized as a plural
form, and makes "sables" unrecognized to the French hyphenation
pattern; or the "," immediately following "sables" isn't recognized
as a word delimiter. I don't know whether there's a switch to
activate somewhere for the latter.

What you can do in any case: set up the hyphenation point yourself,
either entering "sables" as "sa\-bles", or adding it to a list of
hyphenation exceptions in the preamble of your file, namely:

\hyphenation{sa-bles}

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin