[OS X TeX] updating TeXLive and font maps?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun May 20 19:51:35 CEST 2007

Le 20 mai 07 à 18:07, Gary L. Gray a écrit :

> [...]
>
> This didn't look good, so Googling "Map files will not be
> recreated" led me to a post by Bruno from almost 5 years ago that
> said something about needing to disable the font mapping and then
> re-enabling it to fix this problem. So, I did:
>
> loon:~ gray$ sudo updmap-sys --disable mtpro2.map
>
> and then:
>
> loon:~ gray$ sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mtpro2.map
>
> and I was up and running again. Is this normally what needs to be
> done? I don't understand why I simply couldn't enable it and why I
> first needed to disable it.

I never quite understood what happens here exactly. The problem is
that updmap both updates updmap.cfg (first), and then (afterwards)
recreates the appropriate map files psfonts.map etc. based on it.
Whatever is inside the map files, in cases updmap detects updmap.cfg
wouldn't be changed by enabling the requested map file fragment (even
if the actual map files do no longer correspond to this updmap.cfg),
it stops proceeding and refuses to go further.

That's why, I think, Gerben uses flags to run updmap several times in
sequence, isolating each time a specific task, when running updmap
during installation of the gwTeX i-Package. Something like, in your
case:

	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable mtpro2.map
	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --enable Map mtpro2.map
	sudo updmap-sys

I'm not sure that, with the first "--syncwithtrees" step, it would
even be necessary to run the "--disable" step.

> Now, for my **second** question. When enabling mtpro2, I get the
> following message in the Terminal output (there is actually a
> similar message for pmy.map):
>
> updmap: using map file `/Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/
> mtpro2/mtpro2.map'
>
> !!! WARNING: Identical copy of used file for `mtpro2.map'
>     exists in obsolete location
>       /Users/gray/Library/texmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>     Please, consider removing this file.
>
> Why is this happening? The only mtpro2.map file I have is in:
>
> /Users/gray/Library/texmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>
> So why is updmap complaining about an identical file in an obsolete
> location?

That's the actual location which is obsolete:

/Users/gray/Library/texmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

Map files must go inside ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/ to be seen (and
the usual location is inside dvips/ within that directory).

Hope this helps,

Bruno