[OS X TeX] updating TeXLive and font maps?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun May 20 18:07:25 CEST 2007

I updated to TeXLive-2007-Dev yesterday from:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html

Doing so disabled all the font mappings I added. So, I thought to
myself, I will just re-add them. Well, when I tried to enable
mtpro2.map, I got the following:

loon:~ gray$ sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mtpro2.map
Password:
updmap: This is updmap, version 1167072206
updmap: using transcript file `/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/
web2c/updmap.log'
updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/
web2c/updmap.cfg'
updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be
recreated.

This didn't look good, so Googling "Map files will not be recreated"
led me to a post by Bruno from almost 5 years ago that said something
about needing to disable the font mapping and then re-enabling it to
fix this problem. So, I did:

loon:~ gray$ sudo updmap-sys --disable mtpro2.map

and then:

loon:~ gray$ sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mtpro2.map

and I was up and running again. Is this normally what needs to be
done? I don't understand why I simply couldn't enable it and why I
first needed to disable it.

Now, for my **second** question. When enabling mtpro2, I get the
following message in the Terminal output (there is actually a similar
message for pmy.map):

updmap: using map file `/Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/
mtpro2/mtpro2.map'

!!! WARNING: Identical copy of used file for `mtpro2.map'
     exists in obsolete location
       /Users/gray/Library/texmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
     Please, consider removing this file.

Why is this happening? The only mtpro2.map file I have is in:

/Users/gray/Library/texmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

So why is updmap complaining about an identical file in an obsolete
location?

Thank you again for help on a font-related issue.

All the best,
   Gary