[OS X TeX] Re: Fwd: [Ii2-announce] TeXLive i-Package updated

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 20 14:38:39 CEST 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 9:01 PM, Bill Rowe wrote:

> There are two aspects to the preference pane for Spotlight. The
> first is a list of 14 preset file categories. Unchecking a category
> will cause Spotlight not to index files of in that category but
> will not disable Spotlight in general.
>
> The second tab labeled Private presents a window where directories
> can be entered. Any directory in this list will not be indexed by
> Spotlight. I suppose instead of using mdutil, you could navigate to
> the top level directory of your drive and prevent Spotlight from
> indexing anything on that drive.
>
> Note, Spotlight is enabled by default. So, unless you have taken
> specific actions Spotlight will be enabled on your machine.

Howdy,

There are many directories Spotlight will NOT index by default. These
include the hidden directories (at least via Finder) such as /bin/
and /usr/. So by default Spotlight will not be indexing /usr/local/... .

You can force Spotlight to index a directory (and recursively its sub-
directories) by using

mdimport -f directory-path

but, as far as I can tell, this is a one time index so it gets
(partially?) lost if anything in that directory (or below) gets
changed so you have to re-run the command if things change. The
SpotlightIndexer software basically is a GUI fron end for the command
above; but make sure you have `Force import' checked in its Preferences.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)