[OS X TeX] Incompatibility between geometry and TeX+ghostscript

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu May 17 00:45:04 CEST 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 16, 2007, at 4:53 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> When I use pdftex, and the geometry package, the pdf obtained has
>> the same size I have specified as options in geometry, say 15 x 21
>> cm.
>>
>> When I use TeX+ghostscript (by specifying %!TEX TS-program = latex
>> at the first line of the source file), the pdf obtained is A4
>> size, whatever size has been specified.
>>
>> This would not be an issue if my source file did not contain
>> pictures made with epic and eepic, which are definitely
>> incompatible with pdftex. When I run pdftex on my source file with
>> these pictures, I get hundreds of time the error message : Non-PDF
>> special ignored!
>>
>> I really need to get PDF of the true size. Any idea ?
>>
>> André Bellaïche
>
> Howdy,
>
> Try using
>
> \usepackage[dvips]{geometry}
>
> and see if the Tex+Ghostscript works for you.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Howdy,

Sorry to add to my response.

I've made a file, geometry.cfg, that contains the lines

%% geometry.cfg for LaTeX
% make this the default---pdf or vtex override (xelatex picks up its
version first)
\ExecuteOptions{dvips}
\endinput
%% End of file `geometry.cfg'.

where the second line comment says it all. I've put that in ~/Library/
texmf/tex/latex/TemporaryFixes/ (anything in or below ~/Library/texmf/
tex/latex/ would work but I like to separate my ``fixes'' from toher
things). Then it will automatically default to dvips but will
automatically detect and shift the driver for pdflatex, vtex (what is
that?) or xelatex.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)