[OS X TeX] OT: applescripting find/replace limitations

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue May 15 20:57:50 CEST 2007

I'm trying to do some really basic find/replace operations in
TextEdit.app and am finding that past a certain complexity it just
doesn't work --- has anyone else experienced this?

Although this works with only one pair of angle brackets, adding the
second in the replace field

tell application "TextEdit" to activate
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "TextEdit"
		tell window "Find"
			keystroke "(<@Italics>Slide "
			keystroke tab
			keystroke "(<@Italics>Slide<\\!s>"
			click button "Replace All"
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

doesn't work.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Would search-replacing be more
robust in TeXshop? Or would someone like to suggest some other free
tool? I'd like for this to be used through Automator, so I'd like to
avoid shell scripting and stick to just AppleScript if possible.

Thanks!

William

--
William Adams