[OS X TeX] TeXShop and Bibunits engine

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue May 15 20:29:27 CEST 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 11:00 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 15, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Joshua Smith wrote:
>

>> I followed Justin's directions and got expected behavior.  The
>> difference?  I had not put a carriage return after "end" in the
>> engine but I did when I created the script file y.sh.  Now, I can
>> use bibunits with the engine
>>

> Howdy,
>
> This is the case with all shells and I believe is the result of the
> shell interpreting each line rather than compiling the file. ALWAYS
> end a script with a final new line!

Reasonable advice :-}

A quick check seems to show that '/bin/sh' and '/bin/bash' do not
have this problem: both complain of a syntax error when it encounters
EOF prematurely.

An odd side-note: using emacs, I can remove the trailing EOL from a
bash/sh shell file and write it out as-is.  If I try this with a tcsh
shell file, emacs insists on adding it back in: in other words, I
delete the last EOL, then write the file.  In the process of writing,
emacs adds that EOL back.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large