[OS X TeX] [off-topic] best font set for using Times?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon May 7 20:44:49 CEST 2007

I am seeking guidance from those of you who really know font
aesthetics. :-)

We have been using Computer/Latin Modern as the font for the
textbooks we are writing. Given that we have nothing better to do,
our publisher has recently decided that Times is the font that they
want to use. :-) Since we want a *full* set of fonts to use with AmS-
LaTeX, we did some searching and found the MathTime Professional 2
Fonts from the PCTeX folks at:

http://www.pctex.com/mtpro2.html

We have purchased the fonts and have implemented them, but we must
say that we don't find the kerning to be as good as with Latin Modern
and the subscript and superscript placement in mathematics looks
sloppy. Are we hallucinating? Is character placement *really* not as
good? Are the MathTime Professional 2 Fonts the best set to be using
for implementing Times in LaTeX?

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
   Gary