[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Tue May 1 13:36:42 CEST 2007

Am 01.05.2007 um 13:04 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

>> \@namedef{Gin at rule@.eps}#1{{pdf}{.pdf}{`epstopdf --gsopt=-
>> dUseFlateCompression=false --gsopt=-dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 #1}}
>>
>> and am quite happy.
>>
>> Hope I am not annoying everybody here on the list with epstopdf.
>
> This won't happen so soon ... (there is so much "tradition" in
> using EPSF with pdfTeX)
>

> Now that you showed so many examples of Ghostscript options for
> epstopdf, it might be worth extending epstopdf.sty to accept
> options when it gets loaded (like -sDEVICE=<one of psmono|psgray|
> psrgb> or such) in the LaTeX source, and then to combine them in
> Gin at rule@.eps.

You mean such that I could write someting like

\usepackage[dCompatibilityLevel=1.3,-sDEVICE=psrgb]{epstopdf}

or so? I would really like to have it like that.... What is necessary
to do that? Once that project I am working on is done, I might try to
help.

By the way: I started out with wanting to have 1.3-compatibility and
also grayscale pdf-images. I tried -sDEVICE=pnggray and this really
looked horrible. Now the printing shop will use Acrobat to the
grayscale conversion.

I saw the list at http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/
devices.html and wonder if here is the solution for on-the-fly
grayscale conversion. But

[ibook-daniel:~] daniel% gs> devicenames
GPL Ghostscript 8.56: Cannot open X display `(null)'.
[ibook-daniel:~] daniel%

does not work....

Daniel