[OS X TeX] Why so severe?

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Fri Mar 30 11:54:02 CEST 2007

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:33 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>

>> The new Latex/Texlive 2007 seems to be more severe (strict, stern,
>> unforgiving) then the old one.
>>
>> For example, last year I had no problem with input foo, and now,
>> if I don't type \input{foo} (with braces), TeXShop freezes
>> instantly without even writing something on the console. This was
>> not esay to debug!
>>
>> Is this deliberate politics from the LaTeX designers ?
>>
>> André Bellaïche
>>

> [...]
>   My example is :
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \begin{document}
> \input test
> \end{document}
>
> and
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \begin{document}
> \input{test}
> \end{document}
>
> The file test.tex contains only the word "test", and no carriage
> return.
>
> If I use the first version (without braces), TeXSho freezes
> instantly, the TeXShop console does not show up, and after some time,
> when you open the "Force to quit" window, you see the name of TeXShop
> printed in red. There is no other choice than to quit TeXShop.
>
> With the second version, everything runs, the console opens up, and
> shows the lines
>
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> \write18 enabled.
> %&-line parsing enabled.
> entering extended mode
> etc.
>
> then the pdf window opens up, showing the text "test" printed.
>
> André Bellaïche

I tried the exact same example, with the exact same TeXLive2007, and
it showed no such problems, so I think it has nothing to do with
TeXLive2007.
I am using TeXShop 2.10beta8.
Just to clarify things, I would suggest you try typesetting from the
Terminal and see if things work as expected there - that would make
clear if it is something with pdflatex or some interaction with
TeXShop (I suspect the latter).

Luis Sequeira