[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX]

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:57:58 CEST 2007

At 12:34 PM -0700 3/26/07, Chetan Nayak wrote:
>I have the following strange problem, but have not been able to find
>any possible
>causes/solutions on the web. I recently re-installed teTeX after my
>hard drive crashed and had to be replaced. Prior to this, I have
>been using these
>programs for almost 5 years with no problems. (Back when I first
>installed these
>programs, the TeX engines were put in
>/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current.
>Now, Fink Commander put them in /sw/bin and /sw/share, but it's hard
>to see how
>this is the source of the problem once TeXShop knows where to find them.)

One word of warning.  teTeX is no longer being supported, and Fink's
teTeX is pretty old.  You might want to think about intalling the
MacTeX TeX Live distribution http://www.tug.org/mactex/

>Now, however, I have the following problem with altpdflatex: the top margin
>is too small (maybe even negative), so the text starts up at the top
>of the page,
>and the page numbers don't appear. The problem doesn't occur when I
>use pdflatex,
>only when I use altpdflatex, and it doesn't seem depend on which distiller
>I use -- the same problem occurs for both ghostscript and the
>built-in distiller in OS X.
>Any suggestions?

It sounds like the page size is set for A4 for dvips.  Try the following:

sudo texconfig dvips paper letter

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491