[OS X TeX] FYI: Smultron

Christian Burk maillists at gmx.de
Sat Mar 24 16:58:06 CET 2007

Am 23.03.2007 um 19:09 schrieb Luis Sequeira:

>> On Mar 22, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Christian Burk wrote:
>>

>>> Am 22.03.2007 um 18:34 schrieb Gary L. Gray:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> It seems that I found a way. You just have to set up TS for using
>>> with an external editor, add typeset button and engine menu to the
>>> preview window of TS. Then open up the tex files in smultron and
>>> when you have added it and saved you can typeset it via the preview
>>> window of TS.
>>>

>> Yes---that's precisely the way to do it---I think this is documented
>> in the TeXShop help.
>>
>> You sacrifice syncing between the PDF and the source that you get
>> with TS and TeXniscope if you use Smultron, though.
>>
>> I make up for this by searching for the text I need to move to,
>> though.
>>
>> -Adam
>>

> You can add any number of "Commands" in Smultron, and can even add
> keyboard shortcuts for them. For example, you can add a command like
>
>   /usr/texbin/pdflatex %%p
>
> and assign Cmd-T to it.
>
> This would typeset the frontmost document. It is just a matter of
> creating an adequate shell script that does the typesetting and
> opens the pdf in TeXShop or your preferred viewer
> (in fact, such a script is not at all unlike TeXShop's "engines").
> So then you can edit in Smultron, hit Cmd-T and view the pdf in
> TeXShop.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will check this and then post some
experience and maybe some questions... ;)

> The synchronization between source and the pdf would still be an
> issue, though.

Thats true! The sync feature is absolute great. At the moment I stick
to Smultron, because I am working on my thesis and this is quite a
big project and I realy love the left panel with all the documents
ready for picking. I also think that syntax highliting is a bit
better for me in Smultron, but I think, it TS would provide a proper
project handling I It would be hard for Smultron to stay as the first
choice.

Christian