[OS X TeX] FYI: Smultron

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Fri Mar 23 19:09:53 CET 2007

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Christian Burk wrote:
>

>> Am 22.03.2007 um 18:34 schrieb Gary L. Gray:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> Is there a way to invoke typesetting from within Smultron so that
>>> the preview in TeXShop is then updated?
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>   Gary
>>>

>> It seems that I found a way. You just have to set up TS for using
>> with an external editor, add typeset button and engine menu to the
>> preview window of TS. Then open up the tex files in smultron and
>> when you have added it and saved you can typeset it via the preview
>> window of TS.
>>

> Yes---that's precisely the way to do it---I think this is documented
> in the TeXShop help.
>
> You sacrifice syncing between the PDF and the source that you get
> with TS and TeXniscope if you use Smultron, though.
>
> I make up for this by searching for the text I need to move to,
> though.
>
> -Adam

You can add any number of "Commands" in Smultron, and can even add
keyboard shortcuts for them. For example, you can add a command like

   /usr/texbin/pdflatex %%p

and assign Cmd-T to it.

This would typeset the frontmost document. It is just a matter of
creating an adequate shell script that does the typesetting and opens
the pdf in TeXShop or your preferred viewer
(in fact, such a script is not at all unlike TeXShop's "engines"). So
then you can edit in Smultron, hit Cmd-T and view the pdf in TeXShop.

The synchronization between source and the pdf would still be an
issue, though.

Luis Sequeira (who, after trying several editors, always revert to
TeXShop itself...)