[OS X TeX] TeXShop Crash-o-matic

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Mar 23 16:59:07 CET 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:

> 	I recently updated several of my LaTeX related applications to the
> most recent versions, including TeXShop to version 2.10beta8 (210)
> -- or at least that is what CrashReporter states is the version in
> the now nearly daily crashes I have been getting with TeXShop.  I
> don't recall having any problems of this type with my earlier
> installation -- although causality is complicated here by the fact
> that I also recently updated to OS X 10.4.9 (which may just be a
> red herring).  This is all on a dual G5.  So, a few questions:
>
> 	1.  Do others on the list have stability issues with this version
> of TeXShop?  This combination of TeXShop and OS X 10.4.9?

I find that the current release is no more or less stable than
previous releases. It appears that TeXShop has a serious memory leak
(this goes back several versions) that eventually will cause it to
become unstable after *many* typesets. You can see this by launching
Activity Monitor and watching the memory used by TeXShop increase
after every typeset run.

With that said, I use TeXShop *a lot* (many hours per day) and while
it crashes frequently, it doesn't crash every day, though some days
it crashes many times -- it depends on the type of documents I am
typesetting. :-)

> 	2.  How can I find a copy of an older version of TeXShop that is
> stable?  (I didn't think to keep notes on this, but I believe I was
> previously using 2.09c or the like.)

TeXShop has a page on SourceForge. It may be possible to get older
versions there.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/texshop/

You could also contact the authors via the SourceForge page or the
TeXShop page at the University of Oregon.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

> 	3.  Is there a place one should send CrashReporter logs for
> TeXShop?  Is this even of use to the developers?

Post your crash logs on the SourceForge page given above in the Bugs
area.

To help eliminate some crashes, have you tried deleting TeXShop's
plist file as that might be corrupted? In addition, I have found that
TeXShop becomes unstable when my font cache gets corrupted -- you
might also try deleting that.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
   Gary