preview in TexShop was: Re: [OS X TeX] FYI: Smultron

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Fri Mar 23 10:46:20 CET 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Axel E. Retif wrote:

>>> You have to check also ``Configure for External Editor'' in the Document
>>> tab of Preferences.
>>
>> I've checked it. Irritatingly, TexShop still does not work as it is
>> supposed to:
>>
>> - TexShop re-opens always on the 1st page, not on the last viewed page.
>>
>> - if TeXShop is left opened with the pdf displayed, it doesn't update
>> with new typesetting.
>
> How strange! I just checked and it does for me. Just to be sure: in the
> ``Document'' tab of Preferences, I have checked ``Configure for External
> Editor'', and in the ``Preview'' tab ``Automatic Preview Update''.
>
> Then you have to quit TeXShop, typeset in Emacs and open the PDF again in
> TeXShop

I've done this, and tested it many-many times and now again. TexShop
always pops-up:

1. displaying the older pdf on the page it was, if TexShop had been left
opened (behind emacs' window) while typing and typesetting in emacs

2. displaying the updated pdf on p.1, if TexShop had been closed (Ctrl-W
or Ctrl-Q) while typing and typesetting in emacs.

> (I have configured Emacs to use TeXShop as the default PDF viewer, so
> for me this is automatic).

The new versions of Carbon Emacs have been already with the View command
"open -a ":

- TexShop, when typesetting  with latex
- Preview, when typesetting with pdflatex

I find these viewing defaults very good, except the inability to preview
the updated pdf. It makes me absolutely mad now, as you say that it
works for you...

Now, by checking the times of typesetting in Emacs, with the command
latex, and viewing by the emacs's command View, I am realizing that even
in cases of presence of already up-to-date pdf version created by
latex -> View in Emacs

= TeXshop always creates a *new pdf version*, when re-opened via View
command after it had been closed (with or without typesetting in Emacs)

Emacs has a good feature:

When <file>.tex and  <file>.dvi have the same time stamp (e.g., in cases
when typesetting had be previously done, there is no update of <file>.tex,
and <file>.dvi is not removed) Emacs, with the key combination
{Ctrl-c Ctrl-c}, automatically detects that there is no need to run latex
and invokes by default the View command in the emacs' mini-buffer.

It seems that the problem is that TeXShop gets opened and displays the
<file>.pdf on p.1. It looks to me that TeXShop even does typetting in
order to display the <file>.pdf.

It seems that all is behind the "open -a" command.

Which version of emacs do you use? And how did you configure Emacs to use
TeXShop as the default PDF viewer?

Roussanka