[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:55:11 CET 2007

Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 22 mars 07 à 17:20, Alain Schremmer a écrit :
>
>> (1)  I tried to install nano. After I downloaded it, I got the  usual
>> incomprehensible (for me) stuff on the terminal, the short of  it is
>> that it can't install nano.
>

> No need to install anything, it's already there, part of OS X:
>
> theo0mc234:~ brunovoisin$ which pico
> /usr/bin/pico
> theo0mc234:~ brunovoisin$ which nano
> /usr/bin/nano
> theo0mc234:~ brunovoisin$ cd /usr/bin
> theo0mc234:/usr/bin brunovoisin$ ls -l
> total 287592
> [...]
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel    116752 Mar 21  2005 nano
> [...]
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel         4 Aug 24  2006 pico -> nano
> [...]
>
> Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Well, *I* am sorry: this is not specific enough.

When I open the terminal,
Welcome to Darwin!
tcsh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
[Alain:~] alainsch%
When I type
sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
I get
   UW PICO(tm) 2.5    File: .../texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf  Modified
in reverse video and, at the bottom, [New File]
and a list of commands such as ^R read file but when I type ^R and
Return nothing happens

(2)

>> (4) As per Dyballa's terminal-free approach, I opened texmf.cnf  with
>> SubEthaEdit.
>> However, there is no openout, openin, etc in texmf.cnf
>

> That's normal if you're speaking of gwTeX and opened /usr/local/gwTeX/
> texmf.cnf: this texmf.cnf contains only changes to the standard setup
> defined deeper in the gwTeX tree, in /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/web2c/
> texmf.cnf taken verbatim from TeXLive.
>
> gwTeX uses this standard setup, adding to it the modifications
> specified in /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf. Because gwTeX doesn't modify
> openout_any and openin_any by default, it's normal there is no
> mention of these variables inside /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf.
>
> Meaning that you need to *add* to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf the
> following line:
>
> openout_any = r
>
> openout_any = a

Where do I add that line?

> Actually it's rather me who's at sea: I just purchased the DVDs of
> season 2 of The Outer Limits last weekend, and watched this episode
> in which planet Mars is covered with a sea of sand inside which
> hostile marine creatures are hiding like sharks, unsuspected, waiting
> to make their lunch of astronauts foolish enough to wander on this
> sand. Watching this was like a trip to childhood (when I first saw
> this episode), almost bringing tears to my eyes...

Not to my childhood but I should try that on my grand sons (12 and 14)

And here is the latest development:

When, at Goedde's request, I tried to copy the console, I couldn't
select anything so I hit X and then the file got typeset!!!!!

Very puzzled regards to all
--schremmer

Best regards
--schremmer