[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Mar 22 17:52:45 CET 2007

Am 22.03.2007 um 17:20 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> (2) So, I reverted to subethaedit and tried a modified Voisin 8:52
> AM. I typed in the terminal
>
>    sudo subethaedit /usr/local/gwtex/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> here is the terminal response:
>
>    sudo: subethaedit /usr/local/gwtex/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf :
>    command not found

Sudo does not work well with application bundles. You could try

	open -a SubEthaEdit <a file name>

You *have to* to be careful about lower and upper case letters.

For some applications I've found that it works to launch them as

	/Applications/<Application Name.app>/Contents/MacOS/<Application Name>

and with Carbon Emacs or Emacs.app it even works to run them with
"elevated privileges" by using

	sudo /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

> Terminal indeed. :-)

No, basic logic.

> (3) As I was going to post this, Schulz's came in. (thanks) so I
> installed the Command Line Tool and SubEthaEdit' acknowledged. But
> I am still getting command not found.

Try

	rehash ; which see

in Terminal.

> (4) As per Dyballa's terminal-free approach, I opened texmf.cnf
> with SubEthaEdit.
> However, there is no openout, openin, etc in texmf.cnf

In gwTeX you have two texmf.cnf files: /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf
and /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf (I had a shell alias for
them ...). I am certain that the latter contains openin and openout
statements!

> (5) I thought that, since texmf.cnf is dated May 22, 2005, I would
> uninstall everything and then re-install but I could not find how
> to ask i-installer to uninstall anything. I suppose I should know
> what package I want to uninstall but I don't. Can I just trash
> everything after  the symbolic link?

Yes. That's what i-Installer usually does, too (except for the local
additions).

> I hate to be such a nuisance but I am now completely at sea.

Will you also write your memoirs and have some chapters about your
quarrels with TeX on the Mac and how the UNIX tortured you?

--
Greetings

   Pete