[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Mar 22 12:45:16 CET 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 10:59 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 22.03.2007 um 05:41 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> I am seriously considering throwing the portable away.
>
> I think I'll have some use for it! (I can take transport costs. Or
> I'll come on my recumbent bike to fetch it.)
>

> You have two choices: either de-install TeX Live and install gwTeX
> or change the disk layout in a way that TeX never needs to write to
> a file higher in the file hierarchy.

Or modify texmf.cnf to reduce its paranoia.

To do this, you first need to locate this file; try

     kpsewhich texmf.cnf

in Terminal. Then edit the file with a text editor of your choice; if
you have installed TextWrangler, with its command-line helper tools,
you can simply enter

     edit `kpsewhich texmf.cnf`

in the terminal to have it open for editing.

Find the line

     openout_any = p

in there; change to

     openout_any = r

and I think you'll be OK. ("a" would be even more permissive than
"r", but I don't think you need that.)

Depending on permissions, you might have to authenticate in order to
edit/save the modified file. An editor such as TextWrangler can
prompt for this if necessary.

JK