[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 05:41:53 CET 2007

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.03.2007 um 14:27 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> How do I change the "writing permission for its directory"?
>

> For example by creating a new folder and copying all the old files
> from the old folder into the new folder. And by copying I Opt-
> dragging the files.

I tried everything that was suggested and I am still getting the same
message and this is an exact copy of a folder in whch every file works
fine on the desktop. I have a feeling that the permission thing is a red
herring.

Here is the message.

    No file 049.aux
    (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmt.tetex/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
    (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmt.tetex/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex
    )
    )/usr/local/teTex/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex: Not
    writing to ../ChapterEdit/049.aux
    (openout_any = p)

    !I can't write on file ../ChapterEdit/049.aux'.
    \@include ..\immediate \openout\@partaux#1.aux
    \immediate \write \@partauÂ…
    l.34 \include{../ChaptersEDIT/\jobname}

Now I just noticed that Companion 2ed says:

    On some TeX implementations (e.g. those on the TeXLive CD), the
    error may be preceded by a line like the following

        tex: Not writing to /texmf/tex/latex/base/latex.ltx (openout_any
        = p)

    These TeX installations are by default configured to be "paranoïd"
    (hence "p" above) when writing to files. They allow you to write
    only to files below the current directory and /not/ to any files
    specified with an absolute path name or starting with a dot in their
    name. To change that behaviour you have to modify the settings in
    the file texmf.cnf

So, it looks to me like this is it but then I have no idea what
modification to do and how to do it and even where the file texmf.cnf
is. I can see a terminal experience looming ahead though. I am seriously
considering throwing the portable away. :'(

Hopeful regards
--schremmer