[OS X TeX] datetime package

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Fri Mar 16 19:36:58 CET 2007

At 6:03 PM +0100 3/16/07, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>Am 16.03.2007 um 17:19 schrieb Salvatore Enrico Indiogine:
>
>>I would like to modify the format of the date produced by \today from
>
>Have you thought of using babel? It even can use month and day names
>of the language chosen for the document ...

Babel doesn't change the format that \today uses.

To install datetime, you need to do the following:

Download the zipped package from ctan:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/datetime/

You will also need the fmtcount package:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/fmtcount/

Unzip the folders,  which should produce a datetime folder and a
fmtcount folder.

In what follows, I will assume that you downloaded the files to your
Desktop, and that you have little or no Terminal experience; if you
have some, then you'll find this overly simple.  If you didn't
download to the Desktop you'll need to change the filepaths that I
use below to whatever is appropriate.  If this line makes no sense to
you, drag the two folders to your Desktop and follow these
instructions exactly.

Open a finder window and navigate to the datetime folder.  Then you
can see what's going on.

open a Terminal window.  You should see a $ prompt (if you're using
the bash shell; don't type this in what follows) [If you are using
csh, you'll see a % prompt.]

$ cd ~/Desktop/datetime
$ latex datetime.ins
$ mkdir ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/datetime
$ mv *.def *.sty ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/datetime
$ mkdir ~/Library/texmf/doc/datetime
$ mv datetime.pdf ~/Library/texmf/doc/datetime

(Some of this can be done with the finder if you find it easier (make
the relevant folders in ~/Library/texmf and copy files there by
dragging them).  ['mkdir' creates a new directory, and 'mv' moves
files.]

Now navigate to the fmtcount folder

$ cd ~/Desktop/fmtcount
$ latex fmtcount.ins
$ mkdir ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/fmtcount
$ mv *.def *.sty ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/fmtcount
$ mkdir ~/Library/texmf/doc/fmtcount
$ mv fmtcount.pdf ~/Library/texmf/doc/fmtcount

This is all you need to do.

If you have latex2html installed on your machine, you will need to
move the .perl script to somewhere that latex2html can find it.  If
you don't, don't worry about this part.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491