[OS X TeX] removing local additions from texlive distr

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Thu Mar 15 19:39:53 CET 2007

Hi,

My only experience with additions to the "upper" tree structure of a TeX
distr has been with the package bgtex for the Cyrillic fonts for Bulgarian.
I managed that with Bruno's help, and (1) is the description of the
addition steps. Now, I've decided to test the removal stage of an
addition. (2) is what I've done, and would appreciate advices whether I've
done it properly:

1. The "upper" local addition:

a) I had made the directory "generic", and put the major files of the
package "bgtex" in it:

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/generic/bgtex/

b) update the databases:

$ sudo mktexlsr

c) rebuild the various TeX formats (whatever that might mean...):

sudo -H fmtutil-sys --byfmt latex
sudo -H fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all

2. Removal of the "upper" local addition:

roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/
$ sudo mv generic ~/temp-tex/.
$ sudo mktexlsr
$ sudo -H fmtutil-sys --byfmt latex
$ sudo -H fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
$ sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all

My guess is that, esp. if I had more packages inside the directory
"generic", I should have removed only "bgtex":

roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ sudo mv generic/bgtex ~/temp-tex/.

Is this everything?

It is not clear to me what is the purpose of the directory "generic". Are
there other types (and resp., names) of subdirectories of

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/

Roussanka