[OS X TeX] OT: Autotrace

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Wed Mar 14 03:16:53 CET 2007

On 14 Mar 2007, at 10:58, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 14 mars 07 à 00:31, Enrico Franconi a écrit :
>
>> I did install hassle-free autotrace and potrace using MacPorts and
>> its GUI PortAuthority.
>
> - I gave up on DarwinPorts (now MacPorts) when its installation
> procedure started to place /opt/local/bin *before* the OS X
> defaults /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin in $PATH, whereas until
> then /opt/local/bin used to be placed after the OS X defaults in
> $PATH. I'm only interested in stuff that adds functionality to OS
> X, not in stuff that replaces parts of OS X or alters its working
> in any way. No imperialistic software on my Macs ever! That's the
> very same reason why I never considered using Fink, however well
> designed and convenient Fink may be. And that's (among other
> reasons) why I prefer i-Installer, which places /usr/local/bin and /
> usr/texbin *after* the OS X defaults.

In don't know when what you claim was the case, but for sure this is
definitely *not* the case now. Have a look at:
<http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/docs/ch01s03.html#configure_dports>
where it is clearly stated that the macports path is placed *after*
your standard path. If what you said were true, then I would agree
with you (and this is the case for fink, for example, which, as you
said, created several problems to me as well for this reason); but
this is not the case of MacPorts. Sorry - MacPorts is not
imperialistic, it lives smoothly with your mac without changing its
standard habits.

> - I haven't accepted the move of PortAuthority from freeware during
> development to shareware when development was completed, without
> prior notice. When the first shareware Aqua version was released,
> there was still the excuse of the availability of a freeware X11
> version. Now the X11 version seems to be gone, which makes
> PortAuthority pure shareware. It's not the matter of the amount of
> money involved (the price of PortAuthority isn't big), it's a
> matter of principle.

PortAuthority is a project which is *not* endorsed by MacPorts (this
is clearly stated when you install MacPorts). I agree with you that
this is not the ideal situation, given also that it is a very poorly
written software, and the X11 version disappeared. I paid the fee,
since it is still quite a useful GUI support.

cheers
--e.