[OS X TeX] OT: Autotrace

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 14 00:58:27 CET 2007

Le 14 mars 07 à 00:31, Enrico Franconi a écrit :

> I did install hassle-free autotrace and potrace using MacPorts and
> its GUI PortAuthority.

- I gave up on DarwinPorts (now MacPorts) when its installation
procedure started to place /opt/local/bin *before* the OS X defaults /
bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin in $PATH, whereas until then /opt/local/
bin used to be placed after the OS X defaults in $PATH. I'm only
interested in stuff that adds functionality to OS X, not in stuff
that replaces parts of OS X or alters its working in any way. No
imperialistic software on my Macs ever! That's the very same reason
why I never considered using Fink, however well designed and
convenient Fink may be. And that's (among other reasons) why I prefer
i-Installer, which places /usr/local/bin and /usr/texbin *after* the
OS X defaults.

- I haven't accepted the move of PortAuthority from freeware during
development to shareware when development was completed, without
prior notice. When the first shareware Aqua version was released,
there was still the excuse of the availability of a freeware X11
version. Now the X11 version seems to be gone, which makes
PortAuthority pure shareware. It's not the matter of the amount of
money involved (the price of PortAuthority isn't big), it's a matter
of principle.

Bruno Voisin