[OS X TeX] IM display / MacTex-2007

Bernd Web bernd.web at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:01:55 CET 2007

On 3/13/07, Alan Munn <amunn at msu.edu> wrote:
> At 6:41 PM +0100 3/13/07, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> >>Weird, I have a rather standard setup. The only
> >>difference is that I installed imagemagick
> >>using i-installer...
> >
> >It seems that the ImageMagick i-Package checks
> >at install time whether X11 is installed; if so,
> >an X11-enabled build of ImageMagick is
> >installed, and if not a build without X11
> >support is installed.
> >
> >At least that's how I interpret the following
> >lines of ImageMagick.selector (inside
> >ImageMagick.ii2):
> >
> ># Part 2 contains ImageMagick without X, part 1 contains ImageMagick with X
> >if [ -e /usr/X11R6/bin/X ]
> >then
> >       # Do install version with X11
> >       echo "### ${PROGNAME}: X11 found. Will unarchive X11 version..." >&2
> >       "${II2RESOURCES}/doalerter" -s
> >"${II2DOSERVER}" -V -t SetSelectorSets -P
> >"ImageMagick-X11";
> >else
> >       # Do install version without X11
> >       echo "### ${PROGNAME}: X11 not found.
> >Will unarchive non-X11 version..." >&2
> >       "${II2RESOURCES}/doalerter" -s
> >"${II2DOSERVER}" -V -t SetSelectorSets -P
> >"ImageMagick";
> >fi
> >
> >Specifically, at install time i-Installer checks
> >whether X11 is installed on the system: if it
> >is, then an X11-enabled version of ImageMagick
> >(i.e. the archive ImageMagick.1.tar.bz2) is
> >downloaded and installed; if it's not, then a
> >version of ImageMagick without X11 support (i.e.
> >the archive ImageMagick.2.tar.bz2) is downloaded
> >and installed.
> >
> >Maybe MacTeX installs the second version in all
> >cases, yielding the behaviour you observe.
>
> I'm getting the same behaviour as Bernd.
>
> I haven't installed the MacTeX extras (or
> whatever the package is called in MacTeX), so I
> just have the gwTeX installed version of
> ImageMagick, and my display doesn't work either.
> But X11 has always been installed on my system.
>
> When I type "display <filename>" it just outputs
> the help page (i.e. the same as I would get by
> typing "display -help"
>
> Here's the output of "display -version":
>
> Version: ImageMagick 6.2.6 04/18/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
>

> Alan
>

> --
> Alan Munn
> amunn at msu.edu
> Department of Linguistics
> and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
> Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491

Using i-Installer, I installed ImageMagick and now indeed display works.
X11 was installed before MacTex, but somehow display only returned the
help and no errors. The new display binary installed by i-Installer
works as indicated by Bruno (Version: ImageMagick 6.3.3 03/06/07 Q16).

When X11 is not running it returns the expected error:
display: unable to open X server `:0.0'.
Both display binaries have the same size, but the one from MacTex does not work:
from MacTex:   34656 Sep 24 20:00 display
from i-Installer:  34656 Mar  6 18:23 display

So, (re)installing ImageMagick with i-Installer results in a working "display".
Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Bernd