[OS X TeX] Hyphenation question

L.Stirton at uea.ac.uk L.Stirton at uea.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 19:29:49 CET 2007

Can anyone help me to figure out why hyphenation doesn't work for me--and
what to do about it?

I compose documents on OS X Carbon Emacs, and I have gwTeX installed. I
understand that since I am writing in English only, I don't have to use
babel (or do anything else to 'tell' TeX that I am writing in English,
right? The only way I seem to be able to hyphenate words is manually using
/-.

I have been using Emacs/LaTeX rather than a word processor for about a
year now on non-critical work, as a way to learn how to use them. If I
could figure this out, I think I would be ready to use this combination
for most of my documents.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Lindsay Stirton