"beamer and TeX on Macs" Re: mactex.tar.gz (complete ... Re: [OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Mar 12 14:34:08 CET 2007

Le 12 mars 07 à 14:05, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> so that, if you need a bleeding-edge version of some package, then
>> you'd better turn to gwTeX.
>
> I assume you use the term "bleeding-edge" with the interpretation
> that I am picking up: ahead in the most positive way :)

Not quite: I still dream of a fully tested and consistent TeX setup
that is then stabilized for one or two years, say, without changing
at all during that period. It would allow people (or at least me) to
devote some time learning how to use it most fully and efficiently,
and then be able to relax and just use it, like the tool it is
supposed to be (meaning something that allows work to get done and
never gets in your way).

Alas, in the connected world we live in, things are changing
constantly and you have to devote (far too IMO) much time adjusting
to that change; should you decide to freeze your setup and ignore the
change, then people with whom you collaborate or simply interact will
invariably at some point remind you of the change, and request your
adaptation to it. Meaning, in practice, that for TeX  things are
changing constantly, with new packages being introduced or
incompatible changes being introduced in existing packages, and
people (or at least me) end up spending more time configuring and
learning to use this ever changing TeX than simply using it for their
work.

I know, I have this rant coming up periodically at times, but that's
my never-ending frustration with TeX.

Bruno Voisin