[OS X TeX] Really dumb question

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 11 22:41:13 CET 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 22:35, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	I have a latex file that I need to turn into HTML.  So I tried to
> run latex on the file ("latex theory2.tex"), to get a .dvi.  But
> that command seems to default to pdftex.  Why is this?  How can I
> change this OR force some sort of DVI output?

latex _is_ linked to pdftex, but set to produce dvi, so you may have
a configuration problem somewhere. Try latex -output-format=dvi
theory2.tex, and see if that does what you need.

As far as I know mzlatex, htlatex & friends should all run the
complete sequence of commands to produce the output you need. I don't
recall if all these commands (i.e. the wrappers for tex4ht) are
installed by default, but I have them in /usr/texbin, so I guess they
are.

Maarten