[OS X TeX] tipa

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 9 18:28:26 CET 2007

On 9 Mar 2007, at 4:46 pm, Manuel Souto Pico wrote:

> After checking some relevant questions and some examples in the xetex
> list, I've tried XeTeX and managed to get the right character without
> need to use the tipa package. I had already used XeTeX to get Kanji in
> a document but had not thought of it this time. Thanks a lot. This is
> the code:
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage[spanish,english,catalan,british]{babel}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{Palatino}
>
> %\usepackage{tipa}
> %\usepackage{xunicode}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> IPA symbol: ɔ
>
> \end{document}
>
> However, I've seen that not all IPA symbols are rendered with XeTeX.
> For example: ɞʎʉɨʢʁɐʂɣɠɦʝʡɬʐɓɳɴʂ

Are you sure you're using a font that supports all these characters?
I wouldn't expect to find many of them in Palatino, for example.

Lucida Grande has a more complete inventory than most of the Latin
fonts shipped with Mac OS X; for a still more extensive set, you
could try Charis SIL <http://scripts.sil.org/CharisSILFont>, which
supports pretty much everything Latin-related in the Unicode standard.

JK