[OS X TeX] Local additions and multiple TeX distributions

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Mar 7 22:55:36 CET 2007

Now that I've gotten around to updating my older teTeX distribution,
I now find myself with two and a quarter TeX distributions: Gerbens'
based on TeX Live, (which I installed with i-installer) the MacTeX TL
distribution and the leftover texmf.local from my old teTeX
distribution.  So here's a few of questions:

Since I have up-to-date versions via i-installer of Ghostscript,
fondu etc., I didn't install any of these when I installed MacTeX.
Is this the correct strategy?

Some things that were in my texmf.local are now included in TL, but
not in Gerben's distribution.  So I guess I need to selectively copy
what was in my texmf.local to the TL texmf-local, right?  (I have
multiple users using TeX, so I don't generally install things in
~/Library/texmf except for testing purposes)

Am I getting myself into a lot of hassles with two distributions,
since I will need to make local additions in two places, or can I
make texmf-local a symbolic link to (the new) texmf.local (or vice
versa)?  Are there advantages to making the link in one direction or
the other (or is is just a bad idea?)

Since Gerben's distribution is a subset of TL, I suppose it would
make sense to add all new additions to texmf.local, and make
texmf-local a symbolic link to texmf.local.  If I do this, and a
package is simultaneously in TL and in texmf.local, which will take
precedence?  (If I keep the local additions up-to-date this shouldn't
pose any problems if the texmf.local files take precedence.)

Do I need to update the TeXShop macros (e.g. Claus Gerhardt's macros)
to reflect changes in the distribution?  How do I do this without
losing my own macros?

Thanks

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491