[OS X TeX] Electronic Engineering Reports

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 19:21:04 CET 2007

Dima wrote:

> I'm quite familiar with LaTeX now (ie typesetting, text, using TOC,
> labels etc) as well as typing lots of equations.
>
> Now I want to draw circuit diagrams, timing diagrams, as well as
> graphs, and graph paper.
>
> I heard about MetaPost and PStricks, but it seems to me that these are
> just to much to learn to do "draw" quickly. Same applies to some
> packages I found around CTAN.
>
> Just today I found JpicEdt, Java based application which does this.
>
> But are there any other programs to do this or should I learn
> PStricks/MetaPost (yak) or are there any better ways to do the
> following statements:
>
> 1) Can I make a float figure which has grid/axis to fill in by hand
> after a print it
> 2) Can I create a full page of customised graph paper
> 3) Can I draw on those axis graphs of math expressions
> 4) Can I add points (is black dot big letter A (or alphabetical
> counter better) then (2,5) and label in it as well to reference from
> test)
> 5) Diagrams with symbols for electronic symbols you can think off with
> labelling
> 6) would be incredible to be able to actually draw on top ie smily
> faces, text, LaTeX equations

One way to do this might be to do this in a drawing program (I use
Intaglio) that can save in SVG, then open the SVG file with, say,
SubEthaEdit and save it as text that you can then incorporate in your
LaTeX file. You can then use the code to recreate the graphic, edit it,
resave, etc

There was a thread on this in July 2006 called SGV to LaTeX.

Regards
--schremmer