[OS X TeX] finding missing braces

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Mon Mar 5 00:27:47 CET 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, brian at pongonova.net wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 04:31:03PM -0500, Alan Munn wrote:
>> How robust is this?  Does it deal with nested braces correctly?
>
> Very robust.  vim is a "programming editor" and is designed for this
> sort of thing.  As a programming editor, keeping track of curly braces
> (or anything else that might be paired up) is mandatory.
>
> The main advantage of vim (to some) is that everything is
> keyboard-driven.  One can do everything with hands never having to
> leave the keyboard for the mouse. Those who aren't comfortable in this
> type of mouseless environment have mouse-driven menus they can use.
>
> While it's possible to typeset from within vim as well, it takes some
> setup on a Mac to do properly, so I use TexShop for typesetting.   The
> combination of vim and TexShop works well together.

I would say the same for Emacs. In my experience with humanity students,
Emacs (in these days with its graphical interface of pull-down menu and
buttons) is *easy* to learn. The literature on programing, unix, and
folks in programing, say that Emacs is the most powerful text editor. I
believe that vim has been well developed too.

The newest version of Carbon Emacs (which I use) displays the dvi outputs
in TeXShop. My guess is that one can use it, at least now and then, as in
this case, to get the mismatched delimiters. In particular, for easier
work in Emacs do the following:

1. Open in Emacs the tex file.

2. In the Emacs' menu check up the following options:

Emacs -> Options -> Active Reagon Highlithing
Emacs -> Options -> Paren Match Highlithing
Emacs -> Options -> (click over) Save Options

Roussanka