[OS X TeX] APA formatting

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sat Mar 3 19:41:20 CET 2007

At 12:22 PM -0600 3/3/07, brian at pongonova.net wrote:
>Situation: I'm working on my dissertation (using TeX, of course). We
>use a minimal subset of APA style (mainly the headers and cite
>formats).  apacite works well for the biblio side of things, no
>problems there.
>
>Quandary: I'm debating whether it would be easier for me to simply
>modify the section and chapter macros (I guess I could override them
>in my own .sty file), or try to use the apa style.  The author of that
>style offers up this bit of advice:
>
>"In particular, apa.cls is *NOT* appropriate for your thesis; don't
>even consider using it for that purpose."

I think one of the reasons that APA style is not good for theses is
that almost all university thesis requirement require numbered
sections and subsections, which APA doesn't do.  You should probably
check with your university thesis office about this.

Alan
--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491